Location: Buena Park District: Supervisorial District 4
Channel History / Background
Fullerton Creek Channel from Coyote Creek Channel to its upstream terminus at Fullerton Dam is approximately 10.5 miles long. Within these limits, the channel passes through portions of the cities of Fullerton, Anaheim, Buena Park, and La Palma.
Prior to 1900, Fullerton Creek was a natural stream that originated in the Puente Hills. The creek generally flowed southwesterly toward the southeastern limits of the City of Fullerton. The creek then turned and flowed westerly toward Coyote Creek. As agricultural uses were developed in the surrounding areas, the creek was channelized along an alignment that closely resembles its present alignment.
In 1940 and 1941, Fullerton Dam was constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers under authorization of the Flood Control Act of 1936. Channel Improvements were constructed concurrently by the Orange County Flood Control District between the present location of State College Boulevard and Highland Avenue.
The flood control improvements constructed in the 1940’s were designed to accommodate scheduled controlled releases from Fullerton Dam with incremental increases from downstream tributary areas. Due to the subsequent rapid development of the watershed and conversion from agricultural uses to commercial and residential uses, the channel improvements constructed in the 1940’s proved to be inadequate to provide protection to urbanized areas.
The improvement plan for this project is intended to increase the hydraulic conveyance area to accommodate a 100-year expected storm event. In order to do so, the northern wall will be improved with a lowered invert to match the existing southern wall’s invert. In addition, the existing false invert will be removed.
Making Orange County a safe, healthy, and fulfilling place to live, work, and play, today and for generations to come, by providing outstanding, cost-effective regional public services.
You Are Now Leaving the County of Orange Official Portal